Contact us for any questions on the Yachtmaster Online Theory course!
Prior experience and knowledge to the Day Skipper practical and Day Skipper Online Theory level is mandatory. Open to ages 16 and up.
The online theory course takes approximately 60 hours, students progress at their own pace.
Successful completion of this course will earn you the RYA Coastal Skipper & Yachtmaster Offshore Theory certificate.
Note that there is a short delay after registration before you can begin your training as your Course Pack must be mailed to you.
What is Included?
- Access to the online course with Navathome for a period of 6 months. Access can be extended for a longer period with an administration fee $500 to Navathome.
- A course pack including a chart, course handbook, exercises and an electronic chart plotter simulator download. Course packs are mailed out after registration and usually delivered to Canadian addresses within 5-10 business days. Note that students must have their own Breton plotter and dividers, as these are not supplied at this level.
- The course is fully compatible with any PC or OS operating system and any major browser.
- Email support from one of Navathome’s instructors.
- RYA certification issued by Navathome upon successful completion of the course.
The Yachtmaster Online Theory is a highly informative course with many interactive exercises to help reinforce the information and lots of chances to try out what you’ve learned. Instructors at Navathome are on standby to help answer any questions by email if you get stuck!
Just some of the topics included in the course:
- How to use the chart and check chart datum, including checking and making chart corrections.
- Variation and deviation.
- Solving problems of heeling error and dip.
- Advanced use of tide tables, secondary ports, tidal stream atlases, computation of rates, etc.
- Dead reckoning and working up an estimated position taking into account tides and leeway with techniques for visual fixing.
- How to work out and plot a compass course to steer taking into account tides, leeway, time zones and computation of rates.
- Includes the free Navathome radar simulation, use of GPS, chart navigation systems, AIS and much more.
- Includes using the RYA chart plotter simulator included with the RYA course pack.
- Passage planning for extended voyages, deck routines and watch systems, execution and monitoring of a passage.
- Navigation aids including buoyage and lights, leading lines and transits, measuring distance off by rising and dipping, clearing bearings, pilotage plans.
- Navigation and collision regulations in restricted visibility.
* You will require the following equipment:
- Access to a computer or tablet device with internet connection.
- Course plotter and dividers. If you don’t already have these then they can be purchased separately from us.